Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Not Your Momma's Apple Pie

I started this blog after numerous request from friends to blog my food, recipes, etc.  I have always had a love affair with food.. back in the day it was of the private sinful-feeling type.  The type that I was ashamed of.  It got me up to a whopping 258lbs.  Long story short - I changed my life - one bite at a time... and one step at a time.  I started eating clean and working out.. I am now a runner and have done a couple 5k's so far.. with more planned this year.. and I am loving food in a a very open way :) I love to share pictures, recipes, and tips - and help others find a healthy joy in food again :)  I'm a new ovo lacto vegetarian (2 weeks free of meat yesterday) - so most of my recipes/shares will be in that vein.. although my family still eats meat so I will occasionally show those sorts of recipes/food as well ..

I shall open my new blog with a new healthy desert that just blew my mind - and it might blow yours too :)  This is what I call "Not Your Momma's Apple Pie".  I had been eating apples for a while now - especially heating them a little. and I had a brilliant idea while cooking up this double batch of homemade granola:

This is the recipe I use for my granola:  http://recipeforfitness.com/recipes/snacks/granola.html

So here's the 411:

  1. slice up one pink lady apple (or apple of your choice)
  2. put a teaspoon of coconut oil in a pan
  3. put the pan on medium and drop in the apples
  4. sprinkle generous amount of cinnamon (I used a little splenda too - that's your choice)
  5. teaspoon of real butter  for flavoring
  6. cook until apples are to desired doneness and put them in a bowl
  7. drizzle the smallest amount of sugar free caramel over the apples
  8. sprinkle 1/4 cup of granola over apples
  9. DEVOUR!!
This is how it looked it when it was done.. OMG.. delicious!! It was like eating apple pie without the guilt.  With healthy treats who needs a cheat day!! Not this chica!!



Keep coming back for more foodie goodness!! Namaste y'all!!

2 comments:

  1. it was.. I felt a little guilty about that tiny amount of butter.. Im going to forego the butter next go round (likely tomorrow night) :)

    ReplyDelete