Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Acorn squash?? Don't mind if I do!!

I have heard about acorn squash - primarily from vegan friends of mine that swear by it.  So in my usual search in the produce department for something different (as a new vegetarian I don't want to get bored with the same ole same ole) - I found an acorn squash. I googled recipes and there are lots of sweet recipes where they are prepared in a similar fashion to sweet potatoes, but I wanted to try it in a more savory way.. so here is what I did to prepare it:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and then I cut squash in half:



Then scoop out the seeds and set aside to roast later:


Then I put the halves in a roasting pan (to keep them upright during baking) and drop a generous amount of coconut oil in the centers of both.  Be sure to put about 1/2 inch of water in the roaster as well:


Bake squash for an hour to an hour and a half (depending on your desired doneness), remove from oven, put in  bowl (keeps it from rolling around), add garlic-salt-pepper-and tiny bit of REAL butter, get a fork, and dig in!


It was really good, has a mild flavor and I can see the sweet versions of this dish being very good.  I have seen them put maple syrup in the center instead of coconut oil and sprinkle with some cinnamon and/or brown sugar.  I don't know if this makes sense, but it's what I would call a "heavy" veggie - something that would be a good meat replacement.  I saw some recipes to stuff the center with things like rice and other veggies -I think that would be an interesting spin, and a more complete meal.  Being that the rest of my family are meat eaters - it would be an easy way to do one meal for all of us - stuff most of them with meat and rice and leaving some with just rice for me. 

Speaking of replacements!! I found a new pasta replacement that I just L-O-V-E love!! Zucchini spaghetti!! Granted - you can't eat it expecting it to taste just like pasta - bc you will find - it does not.  However, It is good, and has a mild enough flavor you can use it as you use pasta.  Here I used it with spaghetti sauce.  I bought this awesome julienne tool to do it:


When i did it I julienned the peels right in .. get all the vitamin goodness.. it's simple to do - carefully hold on to one end of your zucchini and run the tool along the length of the veggie slowly turning it as you hit seeds.. I tried to get as many "noodles" out of my zucchini as possible- without shredding my fingers in the process.. and be careful - you can cut your fingers with the tool.. I know first hand **ouch**. 

Then you pop a little coconut oil in the bottom of the pan and toss in the "noodles" to soften slightly and be heated thoroughly:


Once it's heated up (not too long or else it will be mushy) - toss in your favorite sauce and devour (like I did):


I recently tried another noodle sub - spaghetti squash - I didn't care for it as much, but I am willing to give it a second look - we had it with just some seasoning and butter.. I would like to try it with spaghetti sauce.. but that's another blog on another day.. 

Namaste y'all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment